“Discover 11 Reasons Why Your Website Sucks!” by Marshall Adler
Do you have a cup of coffee or a glass of bourbon for this one?
I’m going to hit you with ten major reasons why your website sucks and then throw in one last one from just me to you.
1. No contact information – Have you ever been on a website and you couldn’t find out how to contact anyone? Like there’s no Contact us page, no phone number and no email address listed? Instead, there’s just a contact form?
The reason why your website sucks is because you don’t make it easy for people to contact you. Put your phone number front a center or make it bold enough at the top of your site that people can find it quickly.
2. Poor contrast – People read 20% slower online than they do offline so why in the world would you ever have any other color of content other than black and dark blue against a white background?
Same thing goes for those of you with black backgrounds, why would you ever have any other content color than white?
Your website sucks because you don’t have good contrast from background color to font color. Make your content easy to read for users who already read 20% slower online than they do offline.
3. Inconsistent link colors – Did you know that Google can only read blue and underlined? That means if you have links on your website in your content that are red, orange, yellow, purple, gray, white or anything else that is not blue and underlined that the robot can’t crawl it?
Your website sucks because you think it’s “cute” to have multiple font colors and link shades throughout your content. You’re not writing for Google and certainly not for humans because multi-link colors are confusing and misleading to readers.
4. No clear call to action – How many times can you recall being on a website that had decent content but no clear call to action? A website that converts is one with content that presells or compels others to take action but if you get to the end of the content and there’s no direct command to do something you’ve just wasted that person’s time and lost that potential client or opportunity.
Your website sucks because you don’t have any clear calls to action in your content and at the end of it. Get clear about what you want from those who come to your website and then directly command it in multiple places on-site.
5. Too much information – This is subjective. “Too much information” is a personal belief that there’s too much data. Like the guy who complains about my content being three times as long as it should be because “you could’ve said what you wanted to say in 1/3 of this total content piece”.
Maybe I do repeat myself a bit too much at times so I’m guilty of this rule violation but on my website I don’t repeat myself and I just tell it like it is.
Your website (not LinkedIn Pulse article) sucks because you give people too much information. Your individual landing pages should have a maximum of 300 words or less with at least three calls to action and keyword use of about 2%.
If you can’t presell the benefits of what you’re writing about in 300 words or less, you need to read a book, MYCPS (Make Your Content Pre-Sell – Free Ebook)
6. Blog not maintained – I can’t tell you how many times I go to view websites from prospects who are upset that their conversion rates suck or they aren’t getting much traffic or they’re spending too much money with another firm and aren’t getting any results and then I find out that their last blog post was 2 years ago or even 1 year ago. If you aren’t going to consistently blog then remove it.
Your website sucks because you haven’t maintained your blog and that makes people feel like you don’t maintain your best practices or maintain clients well and thus you end up losing clients before you even have them.
7. Horizontal scroll at any screen resolution – This is not that common anymore since majority of website owners have template based websites where the content margins are hard coded and made to look good on all devices however, occasionally I still see the websites made in Dreamweaver where the designs and images are so big that you literally have to scroll left and right on the site to view all the content.
In this case, your website sucks because you kill the screen with over-sized images and designs. Go “template” unless you know what you’re doing.
Your content should always be readable on all devices. Find out what the readability level of your website is. Use this free online tool.
8. Your typography is not thought out – Uѕing thе standard Web browser defaults fоr уоur type iѕ nоt good enough. Eасh type оf typography nееdѕ tо bе designed. Thе headers, paragraphs, links, bulleted lists, numbered lists, block quotes, etc. nееd tо bе addressed.
With thе ability tо uѕе mоrе fonts nоw thаn in thе past, unlеѕѕ thе standard fonts meet with уоur brand identity, уоu ѕhоuld plan оn uѕing a newer font аnd lооk аt еасh type оf text tо make it pretty.
This might seem contradictory since we tell you to stick with one color font however we are saying that consistency works great for landing pages but
for your Home page, About page, Overview and Contact pages you can be a little bit more creative in font type as long as it reads OK and isn’t robotic.
Thе fix: Create a typography set thаt iѕ fresh аnd appealing. Test it аnd test it again. Don’t settle.
9. Ugly logo and graphics – Look, I’m a color specialist in addition to a wild arrogant self-consumed SEO who runs around aimlessly ranking websites on page one faster than anyone else in the industry… (if you didn’t laugh and are nodding right now, you’re too uptight. Get loose and laugh at my expense!)
Your website sucks because your logo is wack and because your graphics suck. Have your graphics and logos made by professionals, don’t be grabbing cheap stock from Fiverr.com and other places. Go for a real look and brand for growth.
Note: The #1 color on websites that deter people from taking action and in most cases even sticking around more than 20 seconds to read what you have to say is “orange”. Replace orange with blue and you’ll see a 30% increase in conversions from existing traffic within the first 30 days.
According to color-wheel-pro.com, “Dark orange can mean deceit and distrust.”
More: Yes I realize my logo in the “e” on the man’s chest is orange so if you distrust it don’t ever contact us. We might ruin your reputation quickly by driving so much traffic to your website that you can’t handle it and you get bogged down with requests and forget to call people back and then one day bad BBB reviews start rolling in talking about how you suck at organization etc. It happens.
10. Lack of emotions – Mоѕt websites аrе simply boring. Thеу hаvе nо personality. Thеу hаvе nо intrigue оr interest. Thеу аrе flat. Bloggers hаvе аn advantage hеrе bесаuѕе thеir оwn personality саn mоrе easily shine through.
Helping people understand whаt уоu bеliеvе makes thiѕ muсh easier thаn showing thеm whаt уоu do. It’s a fine line аnd iѕ thе hardest tо overcome but it’s рrоbаblу thе mоѕt critical.
Thе fix: Focus оn уоur why. Focus оn telling people whаt уоu bеliеvе аnd nоt whаt уоu do. Just be ready for some hate to come in from those who are insecure in their own abilities to communicate or grasp what you’re saying.
11. (just from me to you) You’re not in the know – It’s not rocket science. It’s not MIT grading. It’s just time-consuming. Learn SEO and learn how to perform something called “keyword research”. You see once you know where the money is in online search you simply “optimize” those terms into your back-end coding and add them strategically to your content on every page and then get other popular websites to link to you every day for years and you can have all the page-one placements you need and drive all the traffic you can’t handle. 🙂
It’s a great problem to have but in this case your website sucks because you don’t have any SEO. You have no way of telling Google what to index your website for in online search. No guidance means you sit on the back burners.
And folks, that is the key to online success. Find the best keywords that will drive the most targeted “buyer” traffic to your site, get optimized and get page one and send those buyers to your order page and BAM = sales all the time!
For those of you who are tired of the games and tired of the waste of time and efforts in your marketing strategy, take action today!